Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Praying in the Potty

Jon was transfered to the ARU (Acute Rehabilitation Unit) today, and tomorrow he starts a 7-10 day live-in rehabilitation program.  We are confident his recovery will only get better and stronger as he is in their care.  As I was unpacking him into his new room, I walked into the bathroom and found a sense of calm and comfort.  Funny, I know.  And no, it's not because I have issues with the potty.  ;) It actually has nothing to do with the toilet - and everything to do with the 4 walls, 1 door, and 1 lock.  What I realized is this: Over the past week, the bathroom has become my sanctuary.  It has been my safe place.  My go-to.  There are no friends, no family, no doctors, no nurses, no beeping machines, no cell phone or computer, and even no Jon.  It has become my place to pray, to plead, to cry, to gather thoughts, to mourn, and to plead more.  Don't get me wrong - I have processed and talked and cried and prayed with family, friends, doctors...  But sometimes you need to be alone.  Just you and God.  Take off the brave face and get real with The One who holds it all in the palm of His freaking hand.  (can I get a "holy crap! that's crazy!"??)  To get real with The One who created Jon's body and knows it inside and out - who knows how many hairs are on his head and who gathers my tears in a bottle.  The doctors are brilliant and the friends are amazingly supportive and the family is in the thick of it with me.  But God?  He's the AUTHOR of peace.  The GIVER of hope.  The SOURCE of comfort.  The Great Physician.  He IS love.  These descriptions sound so cliche.  Until you literally have no control left and no answers and no way to help yourself.  And then the Truth of those descriptions become what you live for.  They become as necessary as air.  And so I've found this need.  This need to escape.  Not in an unhealthy, can't face reality kind of way.  But in a 'I need to commune with the living God' kind of way.  And as it so happens, the only place to do that around here, is in the bathroom.  My new favorite room in this place.  My personal sanctuary.

10 comments:

  1. Yep...I know that place well. I, too, really met Jesus this year. In a way I never knew him before...when I was alone, quiet, with no words. He saw me...and he sees you! The king has His eyes on you! It's a most humbling truth. Love you both so much! Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deana- I know what you mean. I'm sorry for the aching and the gut wrenching pain...but the way you know God...I truly believe only comes from these incredibly life shattering moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly an inspiration to us all. I love reading what's on your heart. It shows me areas of weakness in mine and because of you, I want to grow more in my walk and become a beautiful beacon of light as you are to others. This past year as not been easy on you and your family, however, your grace, tenacity, will and strength in GOD is such a true testament of a Godly woman. Big Hugs Deanna! You are absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KatherineHalbeck...couldn't have said it better!!!

      Delete
  4. Amen!!! I look forward to your posts....each and every one of them teach me and bless me. Thank you for living out loud, your are allowing Christ to been seen so clearly in your experience in your writing. Continued love and prayers to you, my friend! Suzanne Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is actually like tuning into a new family sit calm .... each episode is so exciting, calming, hopeful, funny, tearful, so many emotions that i am so encouraged by.. this will be a best seller... a whole testimony from start to finish.. quite gripping at times.. sorta like The Truman Story, we're watching you live, live. Live emotions and praises and struggles, ups and downs,, and it's so true.. i really look forward to tuning in everyday to read , see the latest act of God in your lives.. i'm praying as hard as i can for you ALL.. what an example you are and will be in days to come.. you know your future and who holds it and tell it beautifully... loves to you today.. and i'll be tuning in for episode 9...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deanna, thank you for speaking truth friend. You speak as one who has been with Jesus, Himself...inspired. Your posts are right alongside my Bible for morning devotions this week. :) Love you guys. Thank you for sharing. Who knew THIS would be another way God would use your family to point people to Himself. BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you have found a sanctuary for just you. Praying the transitions go smoothly for all.

    ReplyDelete