Monday, October 7, 2013

Our 4 Littles See Daddy!

The day before Jon's surgery, my incredible sister Melanie drove down to OC and picked up all 4 of our kids and took them to Temecula to stay with her family until Jon was out of surgery and stable.  When the kids left, they knew 3 things:

1) Daddy wasn't feeling good so he went to the hospital
2) The Dr found a bump on daddy's head
3) Daddy was going to have surgery to remove the bump

Because of my mom's illness with Frontal Temporal Dementia, my kids are very aware of the brain and how it can effect you if there is something wrong with it.  Knowing they were going away to Temecula for several days, we opted to not use the word "brain" in our explanation to them, fearing they would probably worry the entire time away - wondering if daddy was going to be ok.  We instead used the word "bump." They knew surgery was a big deal, but they were pretty comfortable with the fact that dad would be ok, so off they went to play at their cousins house.  And to say they had fun would be an understatement.  They had the time of their lives!  My sister and her hubby and kids loved on my kids in amazing ways.   My sister has 4 kids of her own, so she was caring for 8 KIDS for 5 days!  Their church stepped in in incredible ways and even brought meals for them while they cared for our littles!  The Body is beautiful.

Well today the kids came home.  They were SO ready to see daddy, and Jon and I were SO ready to see them.  Jon got moved out of ICU and into the PCSU (Progressive Care Stroke Unit) last night.  This is awesome because the kids got to see daddy in a less intense setting - no huge machines, beeping sounds, no IV in his neck, etc...  Before they went into the room, I got to have a special talk with the older 2.  I told them more about the surgery.  I used the word brain.  I told them how strong their daddy is.  And that even though he's super strong, there are certain parts of him that are feeling weak right now and will take a little time to get stronger again.  They really didn't care about the details.  They just cared about the bottom line : Daddy is OK!  Now let's see him!

The reunion couldn't have been sweeter.





These kids adore their daddy almost as much as I do.  ;)
What a gift to be together today.  


5 comments:

  1. These pictures couldn't be more precious!!! God bless your family, Deanna. We are continually praying for you and Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tragedy is still tragic. This is not what God intended. I know that. But I can't stop thinking of how incredible y'all are... of how unabated their love is for their daddy... how steadfast you are as Jon's wife... and how God's heart must brake to watch Jon traverse the rugged terrain so unexpectedly thrown before him. I, like many, love you guys. Please know that. You owe us nothing, but still you pour your heart out here online, where it could so easily be trampled. You throw caution to the wind. Thank you. You are softening my heart. Just one friend and reader here, but you have touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite part is Jon's arms around each of his kids...and that he can do that!! And the smiles...oh all those smiles!!! Praying so much for all of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing a great job as a blogger! I love your updates and we are praying so hard for your family - for you, for Jon, for the kids - you guys are amazing and you are shining your light SO WELL. :) Much love and hugs from Oregon. ~Dani wranglerdani.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so did the kiddos look at Daddy and tell him he could get a patch and be a pirate for Halloween? My "bigs" (we call them the bigs and the littles too in our family) grandkiddos would have totally ask that:)) Hope that wasn't insensitive? I think not, I see you smiling Jon:))
    Seriously, we have been keeping you all in our prayers. Love that you are being so proactive, with your rehab and guitar and all, you are truly and inspiration to us all.
    Skip and I know our God is an awesome, amazing, miraculous God and that He has huge plans for you Jon these next weeks. The witness alone to the staff will be in itself miraculous, I know it!!! God's blessings be with you all and keep up the great work in your recovery.

    ReplyDelete