Friday, October 4, 2013

Living out Loud

There comes a time where you have to choose whether to live a private life or to live one out loud. There is no right or wrong. 

Jon and I have always chosen to live out loud. 

We shared news of our pregnancy minutes after I took the test. We often expressed our fear during our high risk pregnancy and our shock during our surprise pregnancy. 

We will do no different this time around. 

I choose to update honestly. Jon is doing fairly well. He is kind, considerate and even funny. When the nurse was testing his brain function and asked him, "Do you know why you are here?" He replied, "Yes. Foot amputation." LOL! He also is learning about our care staff - even telling me we need to think of who we can set our 29 yr old single, God loving nurse up with. At 3am, he also asked the nurse to bring me warm blankets because he knows I typically get cold at night. See? Kind, considerate and funny. 

At the same time, he is in much pain and is nauseous. He cannot keep down even a couple of ice chips. 

All that being said, here's my prayer request - that the nerves in his face would strengthen. That his right eye would blink strong. That the 5 nerves in his face would all work together and be functioning. (currently, only some of them are) In an attempt to 'live out loud,' his eye blinking is not as strong as it was last night. His smile is a little more weak too. These are things Jon and I talked about the night before his surgery as being a concern to him, so I am confident he would covet your prayers. HOWEVER, the neurosurgeon has said he is hopeful that it will improve. Every case is different. Some get worse, some get better, some stay the same. Only time will tell. Time, and the miraculous power of God! We won't see where everything will "settle"for awhile - possibly even 6 months. And honestly, it will probably change day to day as he continues to heal. But in the meantime, I battled with not posting, in an attempt to keep things positive and not invite you all on a roller coaster. Or posting, and being vulnerable with a literal day to day shift. For the sake of prayer support, I choose the later. Let me reiterate, the current state is GOOD. The Dr is thrilled with Jon's outcome so far. We all are! But do I want you to just celebrate with us? No. I ask you to celebrate with us AND keep praying. 

The battle is not over. The battle is really just beginning. Jon's brain will continue to heal and his facial nerves will continue to take shape. So your prayers are needed now just as much as before. I will be honest, when I sat down to write this, I felt like I was writing to ask each of you for a million dollars. That is how big of an "ask" I feel it is when I ask you to use your time and energy on prayers for Jon. We are SO grateful and SO humbled by your love and care. We are confident in the goodness of God and that His will WILL be accomplished to His glory. What an honor to be a part of His story.

3 comments:

  1. Deanna, thank you for living out loud! Thank you for your vulnerability and that God can use your family during such a difficult time. Your strength and outlook are inspiring! We continue to lift up your family in our prayers as well as the staff and friends caring for all of you. We also lift up your children that they too would have strength and optimism during such a difficult time! Praying constantly and thanking God for your family and your example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying from MO...friend of Tanya Drees

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanna and Jon, Thank you for being open so we can share your journey and cheer you on! We are praying for all your nerves and feelings to come back and make you whole once again! God Bless..

    ReplyDelete