Thursday, March 12, 2015

A Homeless Couple Asked my Husband for Money...

I was so inspired last night by my husband, as we sat at the dinner table and went around one by one, sharing about our day.  Jon​ shared that he was approached at work by a man and his girlfriend who are homeless - living in their car.
They asked for money for gas and food.

I assumed Jon would give them money for those things, because we try to live very open handed.  Meaning, we don't judge the person or try to guess what they'll actually do with the money.  We believe that giving has a lot more to do with our own heart of generosity, and less to do with making sure the person we give to is a good steward of the money.  It's our job to be generous.  Living this way has helped us to have such freedom in our giving.  It's a quick heart check.  Does my money own me? Or am I blessed to be a blessing?

We've been on the receiving end of this type of generosity as well - Where someone has given us money and we responded saying, "Wow, we will do _____ with it..."  and the person interrupted us and said, "You do with it what you need to.  I don't need to know about it.  This isn't my money.  It's God's money given to you through me."  Wow.  Jon and I then felt accountable to God for our use of the money.  Not to the person.  It's such a more free way to live for all parties involved.

So yesterday, when approached by the homeless couple, Jon shared that he didn't just give them money.  He asked them out to lunch.  Yes, he filled up their gas tank and yes, he filled their bellies, but more than that, he joined them at the table.  He sat with them and ate with them and asked about their stories.  He got to know THEM.  Not just their need.  THEM.

I listened to him talk about this couple, with a heart of love and compassion.

1 Corinthians 13:3 says, "If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my own body, I could boast about it; but if I did not love others, I would have gained nothing."

Thank you, Jon, for giving me a glimpse of what it looks like to live this out.

1 comment: